Sunday, January 30, 2011

Techie Me

Well, what's new. We again were permitted to go home four hours after we came in for work. This has been a routine for us for the last two weeks. Though I'm happy that I would go home early (again), I also feel sad because this means around seven hundred pesos being deducted on my salary this 15th of February. Good thing, our Sick Leave Conversion and our Quality Productivity Bonus would also be given that day. Maybe it won't hurt our budget that much.

I've spent the whole day searching for a way to have my APAD work on Smart Bro USB dongle. My friend Rhoda who bought the APAD from me said that she was not successful in configuring the device. I felt obligated to help her out with it, now that she still hasn't paid it yet. I'm afraid she might end up giving the gadget back to me and if that would happen, my budget for the month won't be sufficient for the next two weeks. Good thing, I was able to set it up correctly and was able to browse the net with my globe tattoo. I told her that she can buy the globe tattoo dongle from me for P500 and she can just pay it to me next payday. 

I'm kinda proud of my technical skills. With the help of google and other online forums...I was able to search for the 3g setting of my apad. I've learned that not all USB dongles can work on APAD. Like for Smart Bro, those dongles which is not HUAWEI may not work. Unfortunately, the smart bro usb dongle of my friend is manufactured by ZTE, that's the reason why it cant be configured with APAD. Only HUAWEI types does have a driver for androids currently. Good thing, my Globe Tattoo is HUAWEI type model: e1552. Those newer Globe Tattoo users they say, working on model e1553 and higher is also having difficulty setting up their APAD. There are actually a limited articles regarding how to configure APAD for SMART BRO and GLOBE TATTOO connection but I'll give you a step by step instruction on how to set that up.

SETTING UP APAD FOR GLOBE TATTOO USB STICK:
1) Connect USB stick to your APAD
2) Click on the 3G Icon
3) select the following configuration
- WMCDA HUAWEI E220, E230, E6199, E160X, E1750
(if you can't see this option, chose the one with HUAWEI)
4) fill out the following portions:
NAME:  anything you want to call this connection eg. GLOBE TATTOO
PHONE: *99***1#
APN: http.globe.com.ph
(leave other fields blank)
5) click connect, once connected you should be able to see a 3G icon on the status bar 
6) pull up your browser, you should now be redirected to your homepage

SETTING UP APAD FOR SMART BRO USB STICK:
-use same procedure above (from 1-3)
4) fill out the following portions:
NAME: anything you want to call this connection eg. SMART BRO
PHONE: *99#
APN: internet
(leave other fields blank)
5) click connect, once connected you should be able to see a 3G icon on the status bar 
6) pull up your browser, you should now be redirected to your homepage

hope this helps! God bless everyone! 

No comments: